Why do you Follow?
- We follow many things. Sports/people/food/drama etc. Seems like a universal thing.
- We follow because what others are into, what others say are meaningful, is an in thing and is cool, we want to belong!
- Following makes us somewhat happy, alive and connect with our world (FB).
- And so we follow.
- So why do you follow Jesus?
Jesus answered them and said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life
- The crowd follow Jesus because they were hungry.
- The world is hungry for something. Always going after something. Always something missing.
- Advertisement tells us that we still lack somethings.
1. To Be Filled
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.”
- A mystery of the world is when a man who is at the top, who’s had it all – riches, fame, power, success, fulfilment – say they aren’t really happy. Some of them commit suicide, some of them take drugs to forget their “emptiness”, some of them keep on hopping from relationship to relationship just to fill that “empty” feeling.”
- Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”
- So they asked him, “What sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do. Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written: ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat'
- We like to make comparison.
- Measuring sticks… we measure all kinds of things. We even carry our measuring sticks into church. We walk into church and we begin to compare.
- Even the Bible is full of it.
- Why? Insecurity.
2. To Be Secured
But each one must examine his own work, and then he will have reason for boasting in regard to himself alone, and not in regard to another. For each one will bear his own load.
- Anytime you compare yourself to someone else you either become prideful or insecure depending on whether you felt you ‘won’ or ‘lost’ the encounter.
- First we make comparisons and then we make assumptions based on that comparison.
- There will always be someone with better looks, more money, a better job, who drives a nicer car.
- Be Secured.
I am the way, the truth and the life.
- Who He Is?
3. To Be Alive
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
- Not just the ressurection but he is the life.
- Is not for the end only but present too.
- We are dead without Jesus. Alive but no life.
- With Jesus we can be alive and you can be you. You actually can really be who you are. You can like being you.
- Not who you could be, would be or should be. You can be who you are.