Jeremiah 17:7-8; Proverbs 12:3; Psalm 1:1-3; Matthew 13:24-26
Deeply and Consciusly Rooted
- The baobab is one of the longest-living, strangest looking trees in the world.
- Sunland Baobab Bar
- Olive trees, have watched kingdoms rise and fall, have lived through a hundred droughts and, though they may date back to the time of the ancient Romans, still produce fruit every fall
- “He who plants a coconut tree, plants vessels and clothing, food and drink, a habitation for himself, and a heritage for his children.”
1. Deeply Rooted
Jeremiah 17: 7-8
"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.
He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."
- God’s promise if these conditions are met, you will never fail to bare fruit.
- What are those conditions, we got to have roots.
- The men who trust in the Lord have roots in God. His confident is not on himself but in God.
- Why do we need roots?
- We will go thru times of heat and drought.
- There are times in our life’s that we will go through heat, times of trials and challenges. We need those roots in God to keep us healthy and growing.
3 types of trees
- Red Wood trees - these trees can withstand major forest fire. Whole forest get burn down this tree does not die out. Why? It is because it has deep roots!
- Oak trees - stable, hard. Roots go in all direction. Long roots measured several hundred miles long
- Banana tree - closer to us. You can chop, cut burn, the only way to stop them from growing is to up root it.
- Proverbs 12: 3 - A man cannot be established through wickedness, but the righteous cannot be uprooted.
- The righteous men may endure a drought, times may be tough, he may not have what he normally have to depend on during those tough times but he is able to endure.
- Even though all the resources around him have dried up, The Bible says the righteous cannot and will not be uprooted.
October 18, 2016 represented two years of waiting. Two years spent in and out of hospitals, months of physical and occupational therapy, six procedures to date (one spinal, one vascular and four abdominal surgeries) and a seventh, another back surgery
- When you feel dry, there is only one source to give you living water and that is the word of God.
- People can turn to so many other things, we can develop root in so many other area. We can start to have confident on these things.
- Certainly we can start having confident in ourselves. We can start building our roots on our own ability and experience.
- How do we develop roots?
Psalms 1: 1-3
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.
- To develop deep roots in the word of God required us each day to spend time with to think and meditate on the word of God.
- At the end of the day there is no secret, no new revelation but only REMINDER.
2. Consciously Growing
Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.
Some facts about weeds:
- The reality is weeds are everywhere. Their seeds are airborne, which means they can be easily carried from one yard to the next. They can be transported by humans, animals, insects and even water.
- No matter how many times you apply a weed killer, seeds are bound to be reintroduced to your garden.
- Weed & thorns, what do they do. They do not kill plants but they compete with them for nutrients. They prevent other plants from growing to their maximum potentials.
- They weakened them and fight with the plants for stuff from the soil that will make it grow. They don’t kill, they just got to stop the plants from growing through times.
- People don’t see weeds growing until they appeared. No problem until they see weeds.
- Do we need to do anything to grow the weeds? NO! Do nothing and the weeds grow?
- When there is a weed in our life it is the sign of neglect.
- We are neglecting our garden of life, that’s why weeds sprung out.
- How do we end up neglecting the garden in our life? We end up not taking care of it!
- No crisis, no persecution, don’t feel like there is any needs, feel like the Garden of Eden.
- During this time, what do you do? Weeds don’t seem appear. This is where people relax the most.
- Actually this is the time we need constant effort and care to maintain the garden.
- Do we wait until a crisis then we start to panic and seek for God intervention or do we constantly seek God even during times of peace?
- The older we are as a Christian we ought to seek HIM even more
- We need to make constant and conscious effort
- There is power in the Word of God to cause faith, example : An Acorn
- An acorn has power placed in it to produce a giant oak.