- HOPE worldwide was founded in 1991 in response to the call of the Scriptures to serve the poor, sick and suffering throughout the world.
- The organization began with just three small programs. Today, HOPE worldwide serves more than 1.5 million people annually on every inhabited continent.
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me…Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”
Why we should reach out to the community & serve the poor?
1. It’s God’s Heart
- All over OT & NT
- Jesus did it
- The early church did it
He defended the cause of the poor. and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?”declares the Lord.
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free,
“ Three hundred years later Emperor Julian said of the Christians, “The godless Galileans feed our poor in addition to their own.”
1 John 3:17
But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won't help him - how can God's love be within him ?
1 John 3:18
Little children, let us stop just saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions.
1 John 3:19
Then we will know for sure, by our actions, that we are on God's side, and our consciences will be clear, even when we stand before the Lord.
2. It softens Christians’ hearts
- Suffering and lost-ness of the world
- Coming in contact with the needy does something to our heart
- Gives us a purpose and the role that we have to take care of others
1 Timothy 6:17-19
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life
3. It helps the hearts of our next generation
- Interest in making a difference
- Life & purpose in helping others, a way to connect
- Make Jesus very practical and real (understand Jesus)
- Amazing impact and experience