Colossians 4:2-6; Luke 18:1; Luke 11:9; Luke 3:1; Luke 6:12; Luke 9:29; John 17; Matthew 26:39; Luke 23:24; James 5:16; Ephesians 5:20; Philippians 4:6; 1 Thessalonians 5:18; Colossians 3:17; 1 Timothy 4:4; Isaiah 53:12; Luke 22:23; Luke 23:24; John 17:19; Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25
Rooted in prayer (An encouragement for prayer)
• Themes : prayer, encouragement, dedication, alertness, persisitant
• even as a christian we don't pray everyday and giving excuses.
• People that sign up for prayer chain actually find time for prayer but normal day we give excuses, so are we really busy or no time for prayer ?
• Sometime we feel prayers are like pushing a emergency button, calling out for help.
• Prayer is like an untapped resources, an unexplored continent, and yet wr can still fail to discover the hidden treasure of prayers.
• We cannot be a good christian and not pray. You can be a Christian and not pray. It will be miserable
1. Prayer with persistant
• Colosian 4: 2-6 (Devote yourself to prayer)
• Continue Steadfastly in prayer (persist in, Adhere firmly to, remain devoted to)
• Luke 18: 1/11: 9 (keep on asking, seeking and knocking)
• Jesus does not want us to give up on prayer he wants us to be persistant
• Persistant dosent mean praying for a long time but means not giving up in praying
• It is common for Satan to manipulate the voices in our head to discourage us from praying persistantly.
• We know this, but do we counteract Satans schemes? Do we give in? Or perservere?
• The less we pray, the less we desire to pray. The more we do it, the more we want it. But the less we do it, the less we want it.
2. Passionate prayer
• Colosians 4: 2-6 (be watchful)
• Be watchful = careful, vigiliant, alert
• Jesus is a great example, he prayed everytime and everywhere. Be it a petty matter or a big matter, he still pray.
• Luke 3: 1 (opens heaven) / Luke 6: 12/ Luke 9 :29/ John 17 (impact the lives of others) / Matt 26: 39 (pour out our hearts to God) / Luke 23: 24 (maintian the spirit, even in the most difficult circumstances)
• Do we pray passionately? Do we give up in prayer? Are we lacking in faith? Do we doubt our prayers? Do we have reserve attitude towards prayer?
• Some people thought prayer its all about memorising prayer but they dont know what are they praying for. We need to be connected and understand when we pray.
• Sometime we pray but not connected we can use alot of holy or spiritual words but heart is not there.
• We can pray according to the list but thats not what God want. God wants us to pray as like we are having a relationship, mean everything we say and pray sincerly.
• James 5: 16
3. Pray with thankfulness
• Colosians 4: 2-6 (praying with gratitude)
• Ephesians 5: 20 / Philipians 4: 6 / 1 thessalonians 5: 18 / Colosians 3: 17 / 1 timothy 4: 4 (Paul never fail to give thanks, he is greatful)
• When we express our gratitude :
- it articulates dependence
- it demondtated relationship
- it communicates gratitude (proper attitude)
- it generates humility
• In often times we complain and request but when do we take time to give thanks.
• We forget to give thanks for everything he gave us, do God need to do something drastic to make us feel thankful ? Do we need to wait until situation happend ?
• We need to do that because God deserves it, he gave us everything
4. Pray, making intercession
• Colossians 4: 2-6
• Isaiah 53: 12 / Luke 22: 23 / Luke 23: 24 / John 17: 19 / Romans 8: 34 / Hebrews 7: 25
• Paul could have ask for releasing himself from prison, he can be greedy and pray for himself but he is more concern about God's will and not for his own
• We can pray for our own but do we take times to pray for others ? Pray for the lost, prayfor the people that need help.
• We pray for the building, we know that is what we want but we need to be careful about what God really want us to do, he want us to have this building to invite the lost and let them hear God's word
• Do we forget about the real mission ?
• Do we pray for our friend, family, cousin, people that need help ?Or just only ourself ?
• As a church we must remember theres a mission for us, do impossible prayers hopefully God will open the doors and make the impossible possible.
• When we pray for his mission, God will use us.
• We must pray for others thats when we learn give love for others and not be selfish.
• Pray for small little things to build the attitude of gratitude, passion.
• Pray for the lost and God's will to be done
• Reflect on our Christian life again, and inspect the areas that needs changing.